The world is a very weird place where you see people constantly struggling to lose weight. On the contrary, there are those who tend to focus on gaining weight. No matter what you want, there is no denying that health is subjective. A fat person can be healthy as well as a skinny person. Both of them also have their own flaws.
Today we focus on gaining weight. The main reason for being underweight is poor nutrition, pregnancy and even stress. There are some common methods that you can use to gain weight but you should visit a dietitian for further consultancy. But before that, we must know what kind of body weight distribution is considered to be skinny.
- 1 How do you know if you are too skinny
- 2 The causes of thinness
- 3 Thinness: what are the consequences for health?
- 4 Eating to Gain Weight
- 5 Stimulate your Appetite
- 6 Consume foods with high Energy and Protein
- 7 Better choices of foods with high energy density (to be preferred)
- 8 Other foods and high energy density dishes
- 9 Limit foods with very low energy density
- 10 Increase Calorie Intake
- 11 Eat Snacks
- 12 Do moderate physical activity
- 13 Sleep
- 14 Good stuff
- 16 Conclusion
How do you know if you are too skinny
The BMI (Body Mass Index) is used to give a complete picture another type of body that a person can have. To calculate it, you can simply divide your weight (in kilos) by your height (in m) and divide again the result obtained by your height. For example, if you weigh 60 kilograms for 1.60 meters, your BMI is: (60: 1.6): 1.6, or 19.5.
According to the World Health Organization, a fitness weight consistent with good health corresponds to a BMI between 18.5 and 25. Beyond that, one is overweight and below, one is thin. There is, however, a small margin: for people who have always been round, a BMI between 25 and 27 is acceptable. For people who have always been ultra thin, a BMI 17.5 (45 kilos for 1.60 m) is not worrying.
On the other hand, at less than 17, following rapid weight loss, we talk about undernutrition, the severity of which increases with the decline in BMI.
- You can measure your body composition which gives a second indication of whether body fat or lean body mass is affected.
The lower the muscular mass, the more the thinness presents risks for the health. Muscle wasting is often seen with the naked eye, especially in the legs (quadriceps muscles).
The causes of thinness
There can be many causes of thinness. Thinness can be natural with genetics involved
We talk about constitutional thinness for people whose weight is stable and who have always been very thin, with a curve without breaking weight when they were children or teenagers. Often other family members are involved. For Professor Bruno Estour, of the department of endocrinology, metabolic diseases and eating disorders at Saint Etienne University Hospital, genetic factors are probably at stake. This doctor, who for years, has been following with his team of women ” naturally “lean (whose BMI is sometimes just equal to 15), finds that they have an energy intake quite normal. Compared with control women whose BMI is between 19 and 22, they have a slightly lower fat mass, but especially a reduced muscle mass and bone mass, which increases their risk of fracture in the medium or long term 2 .
Too low weight can also result from weight loss, voluntary or not. In the case of anorexia nervosa, an overly restrictive diet, sometimes justified by some initial roundness, results in excessive weight loss. The wish expressed by the girls or women concerned to take back weight, often motivated by remarks from the entourage, is opposed to a distorted vision of the body image, with the feeling of being always “big” 3 . Other diets, too strict and monotonous, followed for health reasons ( familial hypercholesterolemia, diabetes, irritable bowel syndrome, high blood pressure), can induce an involuntary weight loss.
The same is true of emotional shocks, which cut the appetite via released stress hormones. Many diseases ( celiac disease, Crohn’s disease, hyperthyroidism, infectious diseases, cancers, etc.) are weight loss despite normal-calorie meal, resulting malabsorption of nutrients or energy increasing metabolism, ie by burning more calories than usual. If you notice that your weight is decreasing while you are not on any diet, see your doctor right away to find the cause.
Thinness: what are the consequences for health?
The consequences for health are lower in case of constitutional thinness, which however exposes to osteoporosis, even to a depression.
In other cases, leanness leads to fertility disorders. Too little food and/or insufficient energy and lipid (fat) supply induce amenorrhea (absence of menstruation due to interruption of the ovarian cycle), which is accompanied by an increased risk of osteoporosis due to estrogen deficiency. The return to a weight of shape, fortunately, makes it possible to restore the fertility and to reactivate the bone mineralization.
The emaciation associated with muscle wasting is accompanied by:
- less ability to exercise
- a weakening of the immune system exposing to infections;
- longer healing or healing time in case of illness or surgery.
The extreme thinness has repercussions on the cardiac function. In the absence of care, it can cause the death.
Now let us jump into the ways to gain weight. We have listed some of the best and healthy ways to gain weight when you’re underweight or struggling for weight gain:
- Eat More Often: This probably sounds like the advice that you’ve heard many times before in the past. That’s Okay. But still, you need to eat more, the total food intake is directly proportional to weight gain. Eat like five or six times a day.
- Eat Calorie Rich Foods: Food plays one of the biggest and most vital roles in our body. So, you need to choose healthy diets like bread, pasta and cereals, dairy products, vegetables and Fruits and nuts and seeds. Choose foods which are completely filled with nutrition. Among all other forms of nutrition, a calorie is the source of energy. The consumption of calorie enriched food helps to gain weight.
- More Protein in Your Body: Eat more and more amount of protein. Protein increases your body muscles and also provides a huge amount of energy in it. So, also you need to eat lots of protein to gain energy.
- Try Liquid-like Shakes: Don’t depend on food with low calories like Soda, Coffee and other drinks with a low amount of calorie. Instead, try smoothies or shakes which is made with milk (rich in protein) and frozen or dry foods.
- Add More: Add extra slices of cheese. Add foods which provide more amount of calories in your body. Cheese, Scrambled Eggs and milk.
- Exercise: Start doing exercise you can also start doing weight lifting. Do free weights like squats. They trigger more strength which helps to increase in weight. Exercise also stimulate your appetite.
Eating to Gain Weight
Achieving and maintaining a healthy weight is a serious problem for many people in this world. Many suffer problems where they find themselves eating too much where there are people like us who have this rather problematic condition of not gaining any weight whatsoever. One factor for this inconsistent weight amongst the people might be metabolism.
Some people’s body burns calories faster than it should be which is also referred to as metabolism.
For these people, it is a very struggling scenario as they have to reach and maintain a stable weight. The metabolic rate is related to genetic but can be accelerated by factors such as stress, exposure to temperatures like very hot or very cold, the nicotine, caffeine, and density of the muscles.
Also, it can be diseases which are stopping energy demand in your body. We recommend high-calorie food for the person who is tired of weight loss and want to gain weight. A diet should provide, on average, 500 calories (2,000 kJ) more than normal intakes, in order to generate a weight gain of 500 g (1 lb) per week. Although all foods are allowed, it is best to maintain a balanced diet – according to Canada’s Food Guide – rather than eat more sweets or fries.
Do you know?? cb1 weight gainer is the best natural weight gaining pills that really works out.
What it takes to consume 500 calories, you must:
- Stimulate your appetite
- Consume foods with high energy and protein
- Limit foods with very low energy like Soda
- Increase calorie level in one take
- Eat snacks more and more
- Do Physical activity or Exercise
All these tips are not miraculous tips it takes time and hard work. Which also leads more than a month to gain good calories level in your body.
Stimulate your Appetite
If you want to gain your weight seriously than you need to stimulate your appetite at first. For this, we have some tips as well.
- Make Your favourite Dishes and Make it delicious
- If you are living single and pay enough to eat outside than go for Burger, Sandwich many times
- Make yourself, please. So Eat things you love at first.
- For some months eat things you love very much don’t care other things
- Start your meal with Juice or tomatoes or cucumber
- Eat Healthy fruits daily
- Take a walk or run before meal to burn some calories and empty your stomach
- Eat Boiled eggs before you go to sleep
Consume foods with high Energy and Protein
You need to increase your energy level for this you need to focus on high energy providing foods. We will learn about the density of food which plays a very big role in gaining energy. More amount of food is more amount of energy.
With high-density food, we can also have more amount of calorie in our body to burn. And eating healthy food is only one of the best solution for this.
Better choices of foods with high energy density (to be preferred)
Vegetables: Dried fruit, banana, mango, grape, kiwi, cherry, canned fruit, fruit nectar, avocado, olive.
Grain products: Bread, waffle, pancake, English muffin, pita bread, cracker, bagel, muffin, croissant, raisin bread, nut bread, cheese bread, olives and dried tomatoes, tortilla, granola cereals, tender bars.
Milk and alternatives: Cheese, cream, chocolate milk, whole milk, sour cream, ice cream, frozen yoghurt, whole fruit yoghurt, cream cheese, soy yoghurt.
Other foods and high energy density dishes
There are some suggested foods or dishes that contain a fairly high amount of fat or sugar. A person who is willing to gain weight can consume these foods until the desired weight is reached:
Oil, non-hydrogenated margarine, salad dressing, mayonnaise, pesto, pretzel, sesame sticks, rice crackers, baked potato chips, multigrain corn chips, nachos, cheese macaroni, parmesan fondue, carrot and grape salad, apple salad Alfredo, chicken pizza, smoked salmon pizza, smoked salmon bagel, egg or chicken sandwich with mayonnaise, cheesecake, carrot cake, nut crackers, cereal bars, nut bars and seeds , almond chocolate, chicken pie, salmon pie, soy dessert, carob-coated nuts, yogurt-coated grapes, whipped cream, custard, date squares, banana bread, zucchini bread, graham crackers, biscuits his, peanut butter cookies, apple crisps, pound cake, slab with molasses.
Limit foods with very low energy density
Low energy density foods don’t necessarily increase weight. Although being highly regarded as well as usually high-quality foods, they should be eaten less often when weight gain is desired. Rather, more unhealthy, fatty and cholesterol increasing hearty foods should be devoured in order to gain a stupendously huge amount of weight.
Foods with low energy density (to consume in moderation)
Fresh fruits and vegetables, skim milk, soup, non-fat, sugar-free yoghurt, cottage cheese, white fish (sole, turbot, cod, pollock, tuna in water), skinless chicken or turkey breast, fat-free vinaigrette, fat-free mayonnaise, vinegar, salsa.
- Devour fruits and vegetables at the end of the meal rather than at the beginning.
- Always try to eat cooked vegetables and limit salads and raw vegetables.
- Importance should be given to soups with vegetables and meat.
- You should not drink a lot of water, wine or any other beverage while eating.
- Tea and coffee between meals should always be avoided, they tend to reduce a lot of hunger.
Increase Calorie Intake
Heartily Delicious meals obviously lead to weight gain. But you can also add some high- calorie ingredients to your meals – which also have good energy density.
- Always try to add a lot of fat on your diet as these are the foods that help you to gain weight: butter, non-hydrogenated margarine or, even better, oil (olive or canola) on vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes, poultry, fish, bread.
- You should make meat, poultry and fish with a greasy sauce filled with oil and animal fat.
- Fruits such as avocados, olives, nuts should be eaten, Also, salad cheese is a very good option.
- You can also add nuts and dried fruits in cereals and muffins.
- Sprinkling grated cheese over pasta, vegetables, soups can increase the overall calorie.
- Beating an egg in macaroni cheese or soup will also make it fattier and help you gain weight.
- Whenever you go to the market, always buy whole milk rather than partially skimmed milk.
- Adding milk powder to soups, milk, milkshakes and milk desserts is very fruitful.
- You can also use molasses, maple syrup or honey with the hot cereal as breakfast.
- Using some natural whipped cream or ice cream on fresh fruit is healthy as well as rewarding to eat.
- The sweet cocoa powder contains a lot of calories when it is added to warm milk, the result is surprisingly best.
- Drinking high-calorie beverages such as juice, milk or milk instead of low-calorie drinks such as tea, coffee, broth or diet drinks can also be very helpful in order to gain weight.
Snacks are the small amounts of food eaten between meals. Many snacks, consumed during the day, increase the intake of calories. You can either choose a snack of 500 calories or 2 to 3 smaller snacks.500 calorie snacks.
- Three dried dates and 125 ml (1/2 cup) walnuts.
- 50 g cheddar cheese, 4 wheat crackers and 1/4 cup (60 mL) oil-roasted almonds
- 1 muffin bran and grapes, 1 glass (250 ml) of fortified soy beverage and 60 ml (1/4 cup) of nuts
- A bowl of Mueslix type cereals (250 ml) with 250 ml (1 cup) of whole milk.
- A chicken and Swiss cheese sandwich with mayonnaise.
- A bagel with sesame seeds and 60 ml (4 tablespoons) regular cream cheese.
- Healthy muffin and energy drink (250 ml vanilla soy beverage, 15 ml olive oil, 10 almonds, 125 ml strawberries, 15 ml molasses)
250 calories snacks
- 50 g (1/3 cup) of mixed dried fruits and nuts.
- A peanut butter sandwich.
- 175 g of fruit yoghurt with 4% fat and a handful of raisins.
- ¾ cup (185 ml) vanilla pudding made with whole milk.
- 250 ml (1 cup) chocolate milkshake.
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk or soy beverage (vanilla or chocolate) and a peanut butter cookie.
- Fast drink: add 3 tsp. (45 mL) skim milk powder to 1 cup (250 mL) whole milk.
- A nutritional drink purchased in pharmacies (eg Boost, Ensure).
Do moderate physical activity
Physical activities burn calories faster which tends to make you hungry and increase the food intake at a rapid pace. It also increases metabolism. Moderate physical activity is one of the best ways to stimulate your appetite, even if it burns calories. It is important to have a regular activity that requires all muscles (swimming, volleyball, cross-country skiing, etc.) to maintain muscle and bone density – and overall health. Otherwise, weight gain may be fat only which results in many heart-related health problems.
Though Underrated, sleep is crucial to a healthy lifestyle. Sleep not only increases the health factor but it is also one way to increase the overall weight. Normally, a 7-hour sleep is considered a borderline but you need anywhere from 8 to 9 hours of peaceful sleep in order to function properly and gain weight.
You can occasionally try out nutritional supplements (Boost, Ensure or Carnation Instant Breakfast, etc.). You should not use foods that are labelled “light”, “reduced in calories” or “low in calories”. You can also schedule a timer that recalls the time of eating and not to exceed more than 3 hours between each meal or snack. Also, Keep a bottle of olive oil, nuts, and dried fruits on hand to add to your meals and snacks. Sprinkling hemp seeds on vegetables, potatoes, pasta, yoghurt and cereals can also be fruitful and
help you gain weight.
In Conclusion, We can see that life can be lived whether we are fat or slim but living a healthy life is a key. We also saw the steps for making sure our body isn’t lean and weak, Gaining weight is rather relatively easy if we can keep up our food intake, drink plenty water, exercise and live a stress-free life.
Also See: How to Gain Weight in a Week